CEPT University focuses on understanding, designing, planning, constructing and managing human habitats. Its teaching programs build thoughtful professionals and its research programs deepen understanding of human settlements. CEPT University also undertakes advisory projects to further the goal of making habitats more livable.
The University comprises five faculties. The Faculty of Architecture was established as the ‘School of Architecture’ in 1962. It focuses on design in the private realm. The Faculty of Planning, focused on planning in the public realm, was established in 1972 as the ‘School of Planning’. The Faculty of Technology, which concentrates on engineering and construction, was established in 1982 as the ‘School of Building Science and Technology’. The Faculty of Design was established in 1992 as the ‘School of Interior Design’. It deals with habitat related interiors, crafts, systems, and products. Faculty of Management is a newly established faculty from the Faculty of Technology Management and it focuses on Habitat and Project Management.
CEPT University takes its name from the ‘Center for Environmental Planning and Technology’ (CEPT). CEPT and the various schools that it comprised were established by the Ahmedabad Education Society with the support of the Government of Gujarat and the Government of India. The Government of Gujarat incorporated CEPT as a university in 2005. The University Grants Commission recognized CEPT University under section 2(f) of the UGC Act, 1956 in 2007. The Department of Scientific and Industrial Research (DSIR) of the Government of India recognizes the University as a Scientific and Industrial Research Organization (SIRO).